Au pair in Norway

Au Pairs 7519

If your au pair contract in Denmark comes to the end, you are entitled to continue your au pair position in Norway. Applying for an au pair placement in Norway, the best time in advance would be a 5-6 month before your Danish residence permit will expire.

Case processing time at the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) lasts between 2 - 3 months, and during this time you must stay legally in Denmark.

If you cannot extend your visa in Denmark, you must return back to your home country to wait for the visa approval there, after you have applied.

However, if you have a Bachelor degree and can prove it (your Diploma must be recognized by the Danish Educational Authority you can come to Norway while your application is processing.

Requirements – you must speak quite good English and basic Danish, if you apply from Denmark, as Danish and Norwegian languages are very much alike and Norwegian children will be able to understand you if you speak some Danish. Besides, the recommendation letter from your Danish host is obligatory.

Who are eligible for a residence permit as an au pair?

In order to be granted a residence permit as an au pair you must:

  • be between the ages of 18 and 30
  • it must be probable that you will return to your home country at the end of your stay, and circumstances in your home country must also indicate that you will be able to return.

Requirements for the host family

  • The host family can be a married couple or cohabitants (regardless of sex) with or without children or a single parent with children.
  • The host family shall present Norwegian language and society and speak Norwegian to the au pair.
  • If one of the host parents is of the same nationality as you are, he or she must have lived in Norway for a minimum of 10 years.
  • The host family can only have one au pair at a time.
  • The host family must treat the au pair as a member of the family.

How to apply

You submit an application form to the Norwegian embassy or consulate in your home country or in the country where you have held a residence permit for the past six months. You cannot enter Norway and start working until you have received your permit. You will receive an answer to your application from the Foreign Service Mission or, if relevant, through the person you have authorized in Norway.

What must be enclosed with the application?

In addition to the completed application form, you must enclose:

  • the UDI’s standard employment contract, signed by yourself and your host family
  • the form ‘Important information to au pairs and their host families about rights and obligations’, signed by yourself and your host family
  • documentation of the nationality of the host family (e.g. copies of their passports)
  • a copy of your passport. If you apply from Norway, the date when you entered Norway must be shown in your passport or in other documentation.
  • a translation of the documents into Norwegian or English
  • a passport photo that meets specific requirements
  • you must pay a fee

You may also have to enclose the following:

  • documentation that you have had legal residence in the country that you applied from for the past six months if you applied from a country other than your home country
  • if the host family is a single-parent family, you must document his/her percentage of the responsibility for care and control of the child(ren)
  • written authorization for your host family if you so wish

If you enclose a copy of the documents with your application, it is a condition that you present the original documents when you hand in your application.

Duration and the content of the permit (residence permit)

You can be granted a residence permit as an au pair for a maximum period of two years. If the offer of employment is less than two years, you can only be granted a residence permit for the period covered by the employment contract.

Is the permit renewable?

  • As long as you hold a valid residence permit as an au pair, you can submit an application to change host families at any time. This will be considered an application for renewal.
  • If you wish to renew your residence permit as an au pair, you must submit a new application at least one month before your current permit expires.
  • You cannot start working for the new family until your new application for a residence permit has been granted.
  • The application must be submitted to the police district where you live. As a rule, you must submit it in person.
  • The same documentation requirements apply as for first-time applications. However, you may have turned 30. Renewal applications are also subject to a fee.

Relevant Information:

New Visa Application Procedure is on The official site in Norway and in the Philippines

Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)

PB 8108 Dep,
0032 Oslo

Tel. +47 23 35 16 00

Norwegian Embassy in Denmark

Amaliegade 39
1256 København K

Tel. +45 33 14 01 24
Telefax: +45 33 14 06 24

Information about Royal Norwegian Consulates in Denmark:

Bornholm, Greenland, The Faroe Islands, Esbjerg, Fredericia, Helsingør, Herning, Hjørring, Horsens, Kalundborg, Nykøbing Falster, Odense, Rønne, Thisted, Viborg, Aabenraa, Aalborg, Århus.

Updated: 28 februar 2019 Tags: Denmark Rules Norway